ZZap Consulting Inc. (zzap) is recruiting recent graduates to join our team in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia as a full-time Planning Technician. As a Planning Technician, you’ll provide professional architectural and planning services to private sector, non for profit and municipal government clients. The role will primarily include completing drawing tasks and responsibilities on various wide-ranging architecture, planning and design projects.
Using your software production skills, you will prepare working drawings for projects at or near the beginning stages of the design process. You will work closely with architects, planners and other building professionals, providing technical design drawing services and solutions. You will report to the Planning Principal, receive mentorship from the Senior Planning Technician and operate with a high level of autonomy.
Responsibilities will include:
· Collaborate with project planners, project architects and senior technologists at the beginning stages of projects by preparing concept designs, massing studies, presentation drawings, renderings, and site plans
· Designing 3D models and renderings using SketchUp, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, GIS and other applicable software
· Creating conceptual plans, maps and/or detailed technical drawings using SketchUp, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, GIS and other associated or applicable software
· Collaborating with external design professionals and clients to integrate drawings and models into larger project plans
· Providing support and collaborating with other team members on the use of office software programs
· Staying up to date with the latest software features and best practices to ensure the highest level of quality, accuracy, and efficiency in all designs
· Ensure drawing compliance with codes, bylaws, design guidelines and office standards
· Compiling and interpreting current mapping information, evaluating, and confirming the accuracy of mapping data
· Develop technical, creative & elegant solutions in response to design challenges
· Research materials and methods
This opportunity might be the right fit if you are an energetic self-starter who enjoys an open office environment with a team focused and collaborative culture. By joining the zzap team you will be part of a fun, transparent and entrepreneurial organization that focuses on results and not a clock. You will be given the autonomy and resources needed to be successful and create the best results for your clients. This is an opportunity to work on exciting and creative projects that will shape a city for years to come. In return for the skillset and expertise you bring you will be given a competitive compensation and benefits package.
· Urban and Regional Planning Technician Diploma (or related).
· Strong visual and graphic communication skills required
· High Proficiency in a variety of planning-related software’s including AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Sketch-up, Adobe Suite and GIS
· Ability to sketch and draw by hand (desirable)
· Experience with Civil Site Design and/or Landscape Design is considered considered an asset
· Familiarity with the structure and general content of planning by-laws, regulations, and policies
· Knowledge of urban design principles and current trends in urban planning.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to work in a team environment, autonomously and on multiple projects
· Excellent organizational and time management skills